Dr. Richard M. Bayney|
President & Founder
Domain Expertise - Project & Portfolio Management, Risk Analysis & Risk Management, Asset Valuation, Strategic Planning, Licensing & Business Development, Drug Discovery & Development
- 23-year veteran of the Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology industry at Merck & Co., Bayer Corp. and AG, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Johnson & Johnson.
- Previous position - Vice President, Portfolio Management & Decision Analysis, Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development.
- 19 years training, building, and leading departments in Strategic Planning, Decision Analysis, and Portfolio Management using a Capability Maturity Model (CMM) diagnostic methodology.
- 2 years as International Project Manager for marketed cardiovascular drug.
- 10 years in Molecular Biology research into gene expression of (a) hepatic drug detoxification systems and (b) amyloid precursor protein in Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania in ‘Decision Models’ (School of Engineering & Applied Sciences; 2007 - 2009) and ‘Project Portfolio Management’ (School of Arts & Sciences; 2006 - Present).
- Created a unique Portfolio Management framework CREOPMTM that has been applied successfully across several industry sectors and is the basis of his first co-authored book titled “Enterprise Project Portfolio Management: Building Competencies For R&D And IT Investment Success” (J. Ross; 2012).
- Delivers certification and non-certification masterclasses in Decision Analysis and Portfolio Management in the U.S. and EU. Delivers workshops in Risk Management in the U.S. and Asia.
- Ph.D. and M.Sc. from the University of London, MBA from Columbia University, B.Sc. (Hons.) from the University of East London, and PMP from the Project Management Institute.
Dr. Gary Summers|
Domain Expertise - Decision Analysis, Decision-making Under Risk & Uncertainty, Bayesian Analysis, Pipeline Modeling & Simulation, Portfolio Management
Dr. Gary Summers is President and Founder of Pipeline Physics LLC, a consulting boutique that provides research, education and consulting for project portfolio management (PPM) and the management of pharmaceutical pipelines.
Dr. Summers develops decisions methods that manage uncertainty well. These methods replace the predict-then-act approach of decision analysis and portfolio optimization with robust and flexible decision methods. In situations that are only partially understood, contain unknown-unknowns, and more generally, produce surprises, robust, flexible decision methods are best.
New decision theory is creating this field, and Dr. Summers is pioneering its application to PPM and Pharmaceutical pipelines. His research is producing:
Ph.D. and MS in Industrial Engineering and Management Science from Northwestern University, BA in Physics from Washington University, St. Louis. Post-doctoral fellowship at Oregon Graduate Institute (Oregon Health and Science University) and a visiting research professor at Portland State University.
- A new Bayesian model of Pharmaceutical pipelines, which shows how upstream decisions affect downstream results, especially late-stage attrition.
- Feedback for improving the management of Pharmaceutical pipelines. Metaphorically, it is evidence-based medicine for pipeline management.
- Simulation technology for studying and teaching decision-making, teaming and PPM. This technology won a Best Paper Award from the Association of Business Simulation and Experiential Learning.
- Robust methods and metrics for evaluating and selecting projects in phase-gate systems and Pharmaceutical pipelines.
Dr. Jianwei Xu|
Domain Expertise – Competitive Intelligence, Market Analytics, Equity Research, Investment Advisory, Process Optimization
- 9 years of experience in Pharmaceutical industry consulting and investment.
- Most recent position - Associate, McKinsey & Company.
- Jianwei started his consulting career as an associate at McKinsey & Company where he worked with middle and upper management of major Pharmaceutical companies on planning and implementing strategies for achieving a superior competitive position. Highlights of McKinsey engagements include:
- Conducted clinical operations benchmarking among leading global Pharmaceutical companies to improve clinical trial operations.
- Facilitated the merger of two major global Pharmaceutical companies' animal health divisions; designed the commercial and R&D organizations of the merged division.
- Identified licensing and acquisition targets for a major Pharmaceutical company; helped it to round its product portfolio and maintain annual revenue growth rate of 10%.
- Identified and evaluate major trends that will impact Pharmaceutical industry valuation in the next decade and levers that Pharmaceutical companies can pull to unlock value.
- Designed go-to-market strategy for a major CV medical device product.
- Jianwei also has extensive experience in competitive intelligence and competitive strategies and directed global CI projects serving major Pharmaceutical companies:
- Managed multi-national team to conduct competitive intelligence research and analysis, and assisted Pharmaceutical clients to plan R&D, BD&L, and commercial strategies based on competitive market landscape.
- Responsible for equity research of a start-up hedge fund.
- PhD in Neuroscience from SUNY at Buffalo, B.S. in Chemistry from University of Science and Technology of China.
Dr. Lotte Wang|
Domain Expertise - Licensing, Mergers & Acquisitions, Competitive Intelligence, Strategic Planning, Decision & Risk Analysis, Portfolio Analytics, Asset Valuation, Project Planning & Management
- More than 30 years of diverse experience in the Pharma & Biotech industry working with multinational companies, specialty pharmas, start-up biotechs, and consulting firms, covering US, Europe, Asia and South America.
- Lotte has accrued diverse expertise, spanning from drug discovery, clinical development, strategic planning to licensing/business development, during her 26-year tenure at Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
- She gained substantial drug development and life-cycle management skills as a Project Manager, coordinating and participating in a major, successful global regulatory filing. Earlier in her career, she conducted research in the cancer discovery area with special focus on drug resistance. She also managed drug metabolism & pharmacokinetics groups.
- Throughout her career, she has been involved with diverse therapeutic areas, including: oncology, cardiovascular, metabolics, antiviral (HIV, HBV, HCV), immunology, neuroscience and dermatology.
- Most recent position - Licensing Director, Bristol-Myers Squibb, where she led numerous technical due diligences and played key roles in some worldwide deals with biotech and major pharmaceutical companies. In addition, she implemented an in-house Competitive Intelligence network.
- Facilitated numerous Decision Analysis engagements for drug development in multiple therapeutic areas with pipeline projects and marketed products involving multiple indications.
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, M.S. in Biochemistry, B.S. in Pharmacy from the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Dr. Vish Viswanathan|
Domain Expertise - Decision & Risk Analysis, Portfolio Analytics, Asset Valuation, Forecasting, Statistics and Optimization with industry expertise in Pharmaceuticals and Oil & Gas
- 29 years in the industry (21 years in Pharmaceuticals and 8 years in Oil & Gas) in both hands-on and managerial roles helping to address complex business decisions such as: asset development to optimize value, developing insights and improving overall decision quality and productivity.
- Most recent positions – Decision Analysis Advisor at Chevron; Director of Decision Analysis and Portfolio Management at Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical R&D.
- Facilitated numerous Decision Analysis engagements for drug development in multiple therapeutic areas with assets involving multiple indications. Similarly, facilitated and led engagements in Oil & Gas exploration & field development through various phases to optimize value and improve decision quality.
- Specialized expertise in framing and analyzing phased (sequential) decisions -- in helping to resolve and mitigate risks through Value-of-Information studies to avoid costly late stage mistakes in investment. This includes evaluation of Proof-of-Concept studies in drug development, as well as appraisal studies in Oil & Gas to resolve and manage risk using a phased approach.
- In one recent engagement for a business unit in Oil & Gas, developed a complex probabilistic model to understand the impact of several regulatory and legislative risks and to develop insights to help prioritize investments in risk mitigation.
- Led projects to evaluate sales force expansion and promotional investments for commercial teams managing the pharmaceutical product launch and marketing.
- Led Decision Analysis training seminars within Johnson & Johnson and Chevron for all levels of organization.
- Ph.D. in Engineering-Economic Systems (aka Management Science & Engineering) from Stanford University, M.B.A. from Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
Domain Expertise - Clinical Development Planning, Project Planning, Resource & Budget Planning, Performance Benchmarking & Measurement, Decision Analytics Support Medical/Technical Writing
- More than 30 years of experience in the Pharma & Biotech and Medical Device industries; working with multinational companies in Pharma & Biotech and the food industry, as well as in government.
- Broad experience from Clinical Operations and Clinical Science to Project Planning and Management at the R&D and Clinical Operations levels.
- Specializing in benchmarking and performance metrics, providing data support for competitive plan development and optimization, monitoring and tracking, and decision analytics/portfolio management from multiple external and internal sources.
- Therapeutic Area expertise in cardiovascular, renal, metabolics, anti-infectives, oncology, CNS, and GI.
- Skill sets include: project management, risk assessment, team development & coordination, communication, portfolio reporting, group facilitation/moderating, medical/technical writing, application development (Decision Support Graphics, Resource Planning, Status Reporting and Analytics), field monitoring, GCP auditing and compliance assessment.
- Provided consultative services to the Department of Defense on optimizing the drug development process.
- M.A. in Psychology, Temple University, B.A. in Psychology, Trenton State College.
Domain Expertise – Portfolio and Resource Management, Lean Six Sigma, Process Improvement, R&D and IT Transformation, Change Execution Management, Post-Merger Integration, Program Management
- 8 years of experience in management consulting delivery (Palumbo Consulting, LLC and Booz Allen Hamilton (Strategy&)).
- 19 years of experience in industry (Merck, Novartis, Ciba Specialty Chemicals)
- Bill is a LIFE SCIENCES Management Consultant with extensive operations experience. Particular expertise in Organizational Transformation as well as Supply Chain, Portfolio, and Resource Management. Skillfully leads and influences others in matrix-environment to achieve project plan objectives.
- Bill’s projects as a consultant include:
- For a large pharmaceuticals company :
- Global site contracting model standardization and organizational transformation
- Conducted Medical Affairs Investigator Initiated Trials (IITs) Kaizen Process Improvement / Lean Out
- Completed Med Affairs Company Sponsored Trials Process Improvement Kaizen and implemented associated Initiatives
- Established the Portfolio and Operations Management Meetings Framework and Process across all Operating Companies
- R&D transformation engagement involving Quantitative Sciences, PMO, Finance and Clinical Development. Implemented R&D functional planning processes and tools; implemented a trials catalog and patient data warehouse. Provided program management, change management and process improvement roles for the program
- For a large Biotech: defined and implemented the global strategic initiatives portfolio management process including responsibility for delivery and change execution management.
- For a large pharmaceuticals company:
- Completed an engagement on a resource management and IT implementation process improvement for R&D Operations
- Post-Merger Integration: Guided organizational integration global CMC and Labeling; Conceptualized, established and led 20-member cross-functional task force to manage regulatory submissions, tablet image, labeling, and packaging changes worldwide for acquired products. Prevented any registration lapses and revenue loss
- For a large insurance company, developed a strategic plan for a medical and disability management services
- For a large government agency, developed a five-year strategic plan and planning process which resulted in major improvements in workforce planning
- Louisiana State University M.B.A, Business Administration
- Tulane University B.S, Chemical Engineering